We stand, first and foremost for Jesus Christ. This ministry is built upon Him, proceeds from Him, is strengthened and empowered by Him, exists to demonstrate His love, and ultimately, we pray, to bring Him glory. This ministry was founded based upon a call from God, and our sincere desire is that we would follow Him in all that we undertake. Our goal is to be the hands and feet of Jesus, and the enable others to do the same, when it comes to the children of divorce.
Here is our mission statement at Divorce Ministry 4 Kids:
To honor God by standing up for the child of divorce (including children whose parents were never married and are no longer together) by
- Teaching people about the effects of divorce on children;
- Equipping those who work with children to serve these kids more effectively;
- Calling the church to serve, support and minister to these children and their families; and
- Serving children of divorce and their families as the hands and feet of Jesus Christ.
It’s a little bit long – I need to work on that – but it conveys the heart of this ministry.
We stand for the child of divorce. We stand for the child who, all too often, is blind sided by the news that one or both of his/her parents has decided to completely undercut everything they have ever known and change their life forever. We stand for these children who are on the front lines of these divorces and their unwitting victims.
As I began to study the effects of divorce on children and the statistics surrounding divorce, I quickly came to realize that today’s “child of divorce” includes more than just children whose parents have been through the process of a legal divorce. For purposes of our ministry, we choose to define children of divorce for purposes of our mission to include:
- Those children whose parents are separated, have gone through, or are going through, a legal divorce.
- Children whose parents were never married and who are no longer together. With the rate of cohabitation increasing, and the number of cohabiting couples with children also increasing, there are more and more kids whose parents have broken up but who had no need for a legal divorce because they were never legally married.
- Children born to single mothers whose parents were separated before they were ever born.
Our mission at Divorce Ministry 4 Kids extends to all three of these groups of children.
We will cover the remainder of our mission statement (the four pronged approach to serving these children) in tomorrow’s post when we answer the question “What is your plan?”