Welcome back as we tackle the “What” questions of Divorce Ministry 4 Kids. As indicated in the article yesterday, this series of articles is not intended to be a complete statement of faith. We hope that the ministry of DivorceMinistry4Kids and the content of this website will be helpful to all denominations, non-denominational churches, as well as those outside of the Christian community.
However, for those who wish to use the website and the information in it, we thought it only fair to include some words about our worldview as it will clearly impact the nature of the ministry. We hold some fundamental truths which we hope and pray will shape the content and character of DivorceMinistry4Kids. These include:
- There is one and only one true and living God who created the world and everything in it by speaking it into existence. He exists as three in one – Father, Son and Holy Spirit. He controls everything and sustains our very existence. Everything that we have is by His grace.
- Jesus Christ is the eternal Son of God who came to earth in human form, lived a sinless life and then offered Himself as a sacrifice and died on a cross for the sins of mankind. He died on the cross to pay the penalty we deserve and rose three days later to conquer sin and death. When we accept Him as Lord and choose to follow Him, God applies the payment Jesus made against our sins and we can be reconciled to God to live with Him forever. We believe that the only way to be reconciled to God is through the Cross of Jesus Christ.
- The Holy Scriptures are the inerrant, infallible, verbally and plenarily inspired, authoritative Word of God.
- We believe that sin is a very real thing. We believe everyone sins, and this sin separates us from God. Sin is placing our own wishes and desires before those of God and ultimately esteeming ourselves higher than Him. Sin can take the form of either commission or omission and includes both actions and attitudes. Ultimately, sin is a matter of the heart. Victory over sin is ultimately found in the gospel of Jesus Christ.
So, how do these beliefs affect the ministry of DivorceMinistry4Kids.com?
- Ultimately, our ministry is based on the revealed truth of God, and everything we do and say should be tested against His words.
- There is one and only one true God who created the world and everything over it and rules over it. He exists as three in one – the Father, Son and the Holy Spirit.
- Our belief, as Christian, is not in a book or a set of rules. We believe in an historical person (Jesus) and event (His death and resurrection). As such, the Gospel serves as our foundation and should be central to all that we do. The ministry of DivorceMinistry4Kids is no exception. All that we do is informed by, as a result of, and driven by the Gospel of Christ.
- A saving knowledge of Jesus Christ transforms lives. Our ultimate aim is to bring glory to God through transformed lives. For DivorceMinistry4Kids, these will include the transformed lives of children of divorce and the transformed lives of those called to serve them.
- Sin has consequences. Oftentimes, those consequences extend to individuals who were not a party to the original sin. Fortunately, God’s grace and mercy also abound. In Him, we find hope, joy and contentment.
- All good things come from God. This includes healing. While we can help kids through the divorce process and teach them ways to cope with issues they may be facing, ultimate healing comes from God, and our primary focus must be on continuing to point hurting people towards Him.
- As the church (both universal and local), we are called to be the hands and feet of Jesus. This is particularly true of the hurting and “least of these.” In our modern society, the children of divorce certainly fall into this group. Accordingly, one role of the church is to minister to these children of divorce and show them God’s love.