Later this week, I will be in Mechanicsburg, PA presenting five workshops at the Engage Conference on ministering to children of divorce. If you are anywhere in the area, I would encourage you to attend. The price is very affordable, and the content will be top notched. As part of that effort, I have compiled a listing of resources to make available to those who attend my workshop. I am making that resource available to you today before the conference. The following represent the “best of the best” when it comes to resources on children of divorce. A pdf version of the handout is also available by clicking on the pdf link below.
A. Ministering to Children of Divorce
- Divorce Ministry 4 Kids (http://DivorceMinistry4Kids.com)
- Association of Marriage & Family Ministry (http://www.amfmonline.com/)
B. Single Parents
- A Father’s Walk (http://www.afatherswalk.org/afatherswalk.html)
- Center for Single Parent Family Ministry (http://www.spfm.com/)
- Hlp4: Healthy Loving Partnerships for Our Kids (http://hlp4.com/)
- The Life of a Single Mom (http://jennifermaggio.blogspot.com/)
- SMORE for Women (http://smoreforwomenblog.org/)
C. Programs / Curriculums
- Divorce Care 4 Kids (http://DC4K.org)
- The Big D (http://sonsetpointministries.com/thebigdinfo/)
- Chained No More (http://robynbministries.com/chainednomore)
- Divorce Care (http://www.divorcecare.org/)
- Hope & Help for the Single Mom (http://www.hope4singlemoms.com/)
- Single & Parenting (http://singleandparenting.org/)
D. Links to Additional Resources
- Divorce Ministry 4 Kids Resource Page (http://divorceministry4kids.com/resources-home/)
- Between Two Worlds (http://www.betweentwoworlds.org/)
- Divorce Statistics and Studies (http://familylaw.typepad.com/stats/)
- Mapping America Project from the Marriage and Religion Research Institute (http://marri.us/publications/mapping-america)
F. Child Abuse & Neglect
- Child Welfare Information Gateway (http://www.childwelfare.gov/)
- Fourth National Incidence Study of Child Abuse and Neglect: Report to Congress. (http://www.acf.hhs.gov/programs/opre/abuse_neglect/natl_incid/nis4_report_congress_full_pdf_jan2010.pdf
A. About Children of Divorce
- Flesberg, Evon O. The Switching Hour: Kids of Divorce Say Good-bye Again. Nashville, TN: Abingdon Press, 2008.
- Hart, Archibald D. Helping Children Survive Divorce. Dallas: Word Pub., 1996.
- Marquardt, Elizabeth. Between Two Worlds: The Inner Lives of Children of Divorce. New York: Crown Publishers, 2005.
- Root, Andrew. Children of Divorce, The: The Loss of Family as the Loss of Being. Grand Rapids, Mich.: Baker Academic, 2010.
- Wallerstein, Judith S., and Joan B. Kelly. Surviving The Breakup: How Children And Parents Cope With Divorce. New York: Basic Books, 1980.
- Wallerstein, Judith S., and Sandra Blakeslee. Second Chances: Men, Women and Children a Decade After Divorce. New York: Ticknor & Fields, 1989.
- Wallerstein, Judith S., Julia Lewis, and Sandra Blakeslee. The Unexpected Legacy of Divorce: A 25 Year Landmark Study. New York: Hyperion, 2000.
- Wallerstein, Judith S., and Sandra Blakeslee. What About the Kids?: Raising Your Children Before, During, and After Divorce. New York: Hyperion, 2003.
B. For Adult Children of Divorce
- Abbas, Jen. Generation ex: adult children of divorce and the healing of our pain. Colorado Springs: WaterBrook Press, 2004.
- Staal, Stephanie. The love they lost: living with the legacy of our parents’ divorce. New York: Delacorte Press, 2000.
C. For Kids
- Brown, Laurene Krasny, and Marc Tolon Brown. Dinosaurs divorce: a guide for changing families. Boston: Atlantic Monthly Press, 1986.
- Ekster, Carol Gordon, and Sue RamaÌ. Where am I sleeping tonight: a story of divorce. Weaverville, CA: Boulden Pub., 2008.
- Levins, Sandra, and Bryan Langdo. Was it the chocolate pudding?: a story for little kids about divorce. Washington, D.C.: Magination Press, 2005.
A. Effects of Divorce on Kids
- Fagan, Patrick F., and Aaron Churchill. “The Effects of Divorce on Children,” January 11, 2012. (http://www.marri.us/effects-divorce-children).
- Fagan, Patrick F., Anne Dougherty, and Miriam McElvain. “162 Reasons to Marry,” February 8, 2012. (http://marri.us/get.cfm?i=RS12A03).
- Fagan, Ph.D., Patrick, and Rector, Robert. “The Effects of Divorce on America.” The Heritage Foundation, June 5, 2000. (http://www.heritage.org/Research/Reports/2000/06/The-Effects-of-Divorce-on-America).
- O’Neill, Rebecca. “Experiments in Living: The Fatherless Family.” Civitas – The Institute for the Study of Civil Society (September 2002). (http://www.civitas.org.uk/pdf/Experiments.pdf).
- Root, Andrew. “Why Divorce Calls Children’s Existence into Question”, July 20, 2012. (http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2012/july-august/why-divorce-calls-childrens-existence-into-question.html?start=1).
B. History of Divorce and the Church
- Smith, Mark A. “Religion, Divorce, and the Missing Culture War in America.” Political Science Quarterly 125, no. 1 (Spring 2010). (http://www.psqonline.org/99_article.php3?byear=2010&bmonth=spring&a=03free).
- Wilcox, W. Bradford. “The Evolution of Divorce.” National Affairs, no. 1 (Fall 2009). (http://nationalaffairs.com/publications/detail/the-evolution-of-divorce).
C. For Kids
- “A Kids Guide to Divorce.” KidsHealth, n.d. (http://kidshealth.org/kid/feeling/home_family/divorce.html).
D. Free E-Book: Dealing with the Effects of Divorce on Kids
- Stocks, Wayne. “Dealing With the Effects of Divorce on Kids: A Parent and Children’s Worker Guide.” Divorce Ministry 4 Kids, October 31, 2012. (http://divorceministry4kids.com/2012/dealing-with-the-effects-of-divorce-on-kids/)
E. General Information on Children and Divorce
- “The Decline of Marriage And Rise of New Families.” Pew Research Center, November 18, 2010. (http://pewsocialtrends.org/2010/11/18/the-decline-of-marriage-and-rise-of-new-families/).
- Jefferson, David J. “The Divorce Generation Grows Up.” Newsweek, April 12, 2008. (http://www.newsweek.com/2008/04/12/the-divorce-generation-grows-up.html).
- Leon, Kim, and Kelly Cole. “Helping Children Understand Divorce | University of Missouri Extension.” University of Missouri Extension, March 2004. (http://extension.missouri.edu/publications/DisplayPub.aspx?P=GH6600).
- Marquardt, Elizabeth. “Between Two Worlds: The Inner Lives of Children of Divorce.” Christian Century, February 21, 2001. (http://betweentwoworlds.org/comments/?page_id=52).
- Tennat, Agnieszka. “Lives of Quiet Turbulence: Elizabeth Marquardt on What Happens in the Souls of Children of Divorce.” Christianity Today, March 2006. (http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2006/march/36.41.html).
- Thomas, Susan Gregory. “The Divorce Generation.” Wall Street Journal (WSJ.com), July 9, 2011. (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303544604576430341393583056.html?KEYWORDS=divorce).
F. Ministry to Children of Divorce
- “Helping Children Heal After Divorce – Focus on the Family.” Focus on the Family, n.d. (http://www.focusonthefamily.com/parenting/single_parents/helping-children-heal-after-divorce.aspx).
- “The Impact of Divorce Upon Children – A Thesis Study in Grief, Trauma, and Stress Children Face When Parents Divorce.” Order In the Quart!, September 5, 2011. (http://orderinthequart.wordpress.com/2011/09/05/the-impact-of-divorce-upon-children-a-thesis-study-in-grief-trauma-and-stress-children-face-when-parents-divorce/).
- “Understanding and Helping Children of Divorce: An Interview with Dr. Archibald Hart.” Growthtrac, n.d. (http://www.growthtrac.com/artman/publish/understanding-and-helping-children-of-divorce-190.php).
- Bowman, Beth. “Ministering to Children of Divorce.” Lifeway, n.d. (http://www.lifeway.com/article/?id=166549&rss=2007115).
- Dykes, Brian. “Ministering to Children of Divorce.” Children’s Ministry, n.d. (http://www.childrensministry.com/articles/ministering-to-children-of-divorce).
- Einstein, Tori. “Ministering to Kids in Divorce.” CentriKid Camps, July 14, 2010. (http://www.centrikidblog.com/blog/ministering-to-kids-in-divorce-a-guest-blog-by-tori-einstein.html).
- Maranville, Cecil. “Children of Divorce Aren’t Doomed to Failure.” Virtual Christian Magazine, n.d. (http://www.ucg.org/marriage-and-family/children-divorce-arent-doomed-failure/).
- Marquardt, Elizabeth. “Ministering to Children of Divorce Through Their Lives.” Circuit Rider, June 2002. (http://www.americanvalues.org/html/3_ministering_to_cod.html).
- Niles, Lori Haynes. “A House Divided.” Children’s Ministry, n.d. (http://www.childrensministry.com/articles/a-house-divided).
- Root, Andrew. “Young People Divorce and Youth Ministry: Leveraging The Ecclesial Community to Create Ontological Security.” Immerse, October 2011. (http://andrewroot.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Young-People-Divorce-And-Youth-Ministry.pdf)
- Smith, Krista. “TEENS – The Forgotten Generation in Single Parent Families.” Association of Marriage & Family Ministries, November 25, 2009. (http://www.amfmonline.com/articles/templates/templateamfm.asp?articleid=355&zoneid=7).
- Spoor, Jill. “Ministering to Children of Divorce”, 2000. (http://www.tiu.edu/files/college/christianministries/spoor00.pdf).
- Sprague, Gary. “Ministering To Single-Parent Kids.” Center for Single Parent Family Ministry, n.d. (http://www.spfm.com/Building_Blocks-Jan_16_03.pdf).
- Sprague, Gary. Help For The Modern-Day Orphan: Having An Effective Ministry With Children of Divorce. Kids Hope, Inc., n.d. (http://www.spfm.org/Help_for_the_Modern-Day_Orphan.pdf).
G. Spiritual Impacts of Divorce
- Lawton, Leora E., and Bures, Regina. “Parental Divorce and the ‘Switching’ of Religious Identity.” Journal for the Scientific Study of Religion 40, no. 1 (March 2001): 99–111. (http://www.psychology.hku.hk/ftbcstudies/church/images/docs/Lawton_Bures_2001.pdf)
- Marquardt, Elizabeth. “Children of Divorce: Stories of Exile.” Christian Century, February 21, 2001. (http://www.americanvalues.org/html/3_stories_of_exile.html).
- Marquardt, Elizabeth. “The Spirituality of Children of Divorce.” Huffington Post Divorce, December 22, 2010. (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/elizabeth-marquardt/the-spirituality-of-child_b_798400.html).
- Tushnet, Eve. “Kids, Divorce and Faith.” USA Today, June 11, 2006. (http://www.usatoday.com/news/opinion/editorials/2006-06-11-faith-edit_x.htm).
- Zhai, Jiexia Elisa, Christopher G. Ellison, Norval D. Glenn, and Elizabeth Marquardt. “Parental Divorce and Religious Involvement Among Young Adults.” Sociology of Religion 68, no. 2 (2007): 125–144 (www.baylorisr.org/wp-content/uploads/zhai_sor.pdf).